A Black Cat off the Lake Macquarie Coast. From the “Eric ‘Wilbur’ Watson collection”
Patron: Air Chief Marshal Mark Binskin AC
Chief Of The Defence Force
The Rathmines Catalina Memorial Park Association Incorporated
was initially established as an unincorporated body by a deed on 30th April, 1998, establishing a charitable trust. The terms of that deed were amended by a supplementary deed of trust on 20th February 2008. This trust was then called “The Rathmines Catalina Memorial Park Trust”.
The Trust became an “Incorporated Association” in January, 2014, now known as “Rathmines Catalina Memorial Park Association Incorporated”.
An eight member board, all of whom are from the surrounding area, have been put in place to oversee the future of the Association.
That board consists of –
- (Mrs) Penny Furner (Chairperson/Committee)
- Mr Peter Hollingsworth (Public Officer/Secretary/Committee)
- Mr Greg Piper MP
- Mr John Richard (Treasurer/Committee)
- Mr Robert Furner
- Mr David Swanson
- Mr Tony Cade
- Mr Wayne Russell
The Rathmines Memorial Park, the site of the WW2 Seaplane Base, is situated on the western shores of Lake Macquarie in New South Wales. It is approximately 10mins drive south of Toronto, which in turn is just to the south of Newcastle.
‘OUR GIRL’ – PBY-5A CATALINA
Purchased in 2012 from Puerto Rico, and shipped in 5 sections to Australia, to be placed as a Memorial to all those who served on the base during WW2.
Restoration of our Catalina aircraft under the supervision of Mr Terry Woollard.
We have a wide network of volunteer PBY Catalina enthusiasts and will be looking to include the children and grandchildren of those who served as PBY crews as well as those who served at Rathmines.
- To erect a suitable enclosure for our PBY Catalina, recently purchased from Puerto Rico, San Juan.
- To educate and inform the public of the history and importance of the Catalina and Rathmines.
- To establish an aviation museum with the focus on Rathmines, the Catalina, Sunderland and other seaplanes.
- To honour and support the needs of all our veterans.
Our experience with festivals, memorial services and other projects has readied the Association for the planning and implementation of our next steps:
- Restoration of our PBY Catalina aircraft, purchased from Puerto Rico, San Juan.
- Development of an aviation/museum centre which will include an education area and screening room, as well as conference/function rooms for use by schools, public and other organisations.
Other projects will eventuate as time, personnel, and funding allows. A video documentary of Rathmines and its history being one of those planned.
The doors to this exciting future can only be opened with your help.
You can participate with your generous donation, to –
The Greater Building Society BSB: 637 000 Account # 720 223 155
in support of the memorial museum project.
Reference: “Rathmines project”.
The Association is a not for profit Association and all donations are tax exempt.
ABN 38 215 922 527